Monday 12 May 2014

mock ups and print outs of contemp culture - developing idea

contemporary culture zine / test printing and mock ups
Planning content and opening page passage for the zine:
Contemporary Culture is a photographic zine series that explores different cultures in different cities all over the world.

Disposable cameras are sent out to individuals to capture the culture in their city over a certain time period.  Each issue features four destinations capturing the city and culture of today.

Format size
Initially I wanted to have the zine A5 as this is the typical size for the type of zine I first had in mind, however when I received the photos back  I was happy with the outcomes and wanted to display the photos bigger, or at least on an A4 page, scaled upwards but with a nice amount of surrounding white space.  I needed to check whether the quality of the photos could be scaled to that size I was happy with, (when changed to A4) without them becoming too pixilated.

test print for photo quality:
I scanned in the received images at 300 dpi and scaled it to a full size A4 to see the overall quality. Although I thought the photo had become slightly too grainy (as it was taken on a disposable) I thought it was good enough that if it was scaled down slightly it would still have a good enough quality, and I also feel the graininess adds to the aesthetic.
Sorting out format and image size
Once I had made a mock up based on size and scale of photographs I measured out size that could be potentials for the A4 zine.  For portrait sizes this needed more of a boarder and white space as it could not stretch to full bleed.  The standard photo size for a landscape on A4 of the zine I wanted to create was roughly 177 by 120.
 I also printed out some of the example photos in black and white to see what they looked like as I quite liked the idea of creating a black and white zine, however for the whole idea and theme surrounding the zine I thought it was essential that the images were colour as this displays the culture more effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment