Wednesday 7 May 2014

BRIEF 11: DRINKS CLUB BRANDING//BRANDING PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & MOCK UP//OUGD603

drinks club branding development:
For the content of some of the designs I wanted to include drinking quotes, either by famous philosophers or novelists etc.  quotes that would be appropriate would be with a comical approach to match the whole branding.  The branding itself is quite influenced by drinking brands and branding for pubs/bars etc. however the comical approach should be shown through text and quotes used.

possible quotes for the branding:
“Here's to alcohol, the rose coloured glasses of life.” 
― F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Beautiful and Damned


“In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.” 
― Benjamin Franklin


“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.” 
― Frank Sinatra


“Good people drink good beer.” 
― Hunter S. ThompsonFear and Loathing in Las Vegas



“Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.” 
― W.C. Fields


“For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.” 
― Friedrich Nietzsche


“There comes a time in every woman's life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.” 
― Bette Davis


“Liquor is the chloroform which enables the poor man to endure the painful operation of living.” 
― George Bernard Shaw


“Always remember, that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.” 
― Winston Churchill


"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."    — Frank Sinatra.


"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."    — Humphrey Bogart.

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.
Henry Lawson



There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.
Ben Franklin


membership card design
For the membership cards I wanted to include a quote that I thought would work well as the main quote for the branding, 'a well balanced person has a drink in both hands.'  This gives the right kind of idea about what drinks club is about in a comical way.  Usually I wouldn't think to align the text centrally, however with it being a membership card and also the amount of text used I feel this design benefits from being centrally aligned.
 In terms of logo placement, at first I was opposed to placing the logo on this side of the business card as it is going to be the main feature on the other side of the card, however I think without it it looks slightly plain and having the logo adds to the layout.  In terms of where on the card I think its probably suited to the centre as is all the other text.  I also think the quote looks better in lower case without being kerned as its not really necessary for the quote to stand out in terms of text heir-achy.
front and back of membership card:
letter head and postcards:
I thought for this particular type of branding and also based on the way my membership cards have turned out in terms of layout I think it would be best suited to have the information for the letter head at the footer of the page spread out equally amongst the bottom line.
Again following the central alignment, I decided to place the logo at the header of the page, this allows for the logo to be made slightly bigger than if it was aligned to either side, the bigger it can go without looking out of place the better as the text around the logo will become too small to read.
As the branding is quite humorous I thought about adding a quote into the left hand side margin, this is the quote that is placed on the business card and thought it would work in terms of consistent design.  However I felt it looked a bit out of place in the margin and also probably not as appropriate for a letter head.
The menu design was quite simple as the menu has started off being relatively small. so I used the main branding typeface futura combined with helvetica neue, with a simple two column layout and the logo placed centrally at the top.  The menu included a small selection of cocktails, beers and ciders, spirits and wines.
I also thought to add to the branding it would be nice to create a few promotional postcards with famous writers and philosophers quotes about drinking - all humorous to keep the same tone of voice throughout.  Here are some of the postcards featuring famous alcohol related quotes.  In terms of colour Im struggling with a third choice, the first two being black and white with a small burst of colour running through the products.  The idea is to have the postcards printed off in that colour, or have the colour feature somewhere in the design.
I also measured out a bellyband for the postcards to be displayed in, I think whatever colour I choose for the branding should be used as quite a main feature otherwise it could end up looking quite corporate.
Bottle mock up:
I have ordered some mini bottles that can be used for the drinks club bottle branding, I've ordered them on a small scale cos I think it'll suit the rest of the branding - with the menu and postcards being quite small.  I've looked into both designing a clear label and stock label.  Originally I would of said I wanted stock as I feel thats a more traditional approach to designing, however the way the branding for this has turned out so far I feel it looks quite contemporary and so I think the whole branding would look better if it was on a clear label.

No comments:

Post a Comment