Wednesday 14 May 2014

COP PUBLICATION//NOTES AND PLANNING//OUGD603

cop publication: notes and planning
After looking back through my design context blog and looking at the contextual posts I have blogged this year on my extended practice blog I have found that most of my design has come from certain influences, which is obvious as thats what everyones design comes from, however I think my outcome is especially driven by certain people/music/literature rather than being interested specifically in one area of design that then influences my outcomes.  For the publication I have decided I want to try and create a folder/booklet of influences over the past three years, in particular the last year as I feel thats where my practice has really taken place and changed direction.  I have made a list of all my briefs and looked in particular at what has inspired/drove me to get focus on these particular subject matters.

01. contemporary culture - travel, culture, cities 
02. film poster - film
03. Absolutely Fabulous - screen print, joanna lumley, comedy
04. museum of childhood - memories, childhood, exhibition
05. unsung heroes - exhibition, memories, photographs
06. promoting interrail - travel, europe, cities, photography, journey
07. personal manifesto - design
08. spectrum - nature, pattern, collaboration 
09:meantime - music, records
10: dr me says make a flag
11. drinks club - branding 
12.secret 7 - music, records
13.the collected writings of Rosy Lee
14. dialogue
15. exhibition of paris - travel, paris 


After taking all my briefs into account and looking at both blogs I narrowed it down to some key words that I think would help shape the content of my design context publication.


  • travel
  • literature
  • photography 
  • editorial 
  • Paris
  • journeys 
  • designers
  • COP3 - London underground - William Morris, Frank Pick
After looking at all these categories I feel there is a substantial amount of areas to focus on when compiling the publication.


Opening of design context publication:
-This publication offers an insight into the ideas, inspiration and context behind my practice.  It includes a record of contextual references and artistic influences that have helped form the design direction I have taken.  The majority of content is taken from the past year as this is where I feel I have developed the most, finding more specific areas of design that I am interested in.  The publication aims to visually show the contextual thinking behind my ideas and the journey of influences I have been on.



publication notes:
Caroline Aufort has been a significant designer in helping my own practice take a specific direction.  She has been one of the first designers that when I came across her work I liked everything about it.  The general style and aesthetic, the formats and areas within graphic design and the content of her design.  Being influenced by her work has helped me to develop a style that is still continuing to emerge into the visual aesthetic that I want to achieve.  A lot of her design focuses on editorial and publication which is something I have looked at more so recently.  Throughout the three years I have been inspired by travelling in some way, in third year I have become increasingly interested in Paris as a city and the language and culture, which I think is evident in my third year practice.  As Caroline Aufort is a French graphic designer based in Paris her work is obviously effected by the French culture and the city which makes it more appealing to me.

Throughout the three years I have had an interest in manifestos, which is something I researched into during first year when working on the practical element of COP.  During first year the emphasis was on the Bauhaus manifesto and the movement of modernism within Europe.  Throughout second year I researched more specifically into design manifestos.  During third year I have written my own manifesto.  My personal manifesto incorporates views and morals from people that have inspired me whilst designing.  Someone, who has made a reoccurrence within my practice is William Morris, who I studied when looking at the industrial revolution as contextual background information whilst researching the design of the London Underground.

Whilst travelling has always played a part in the outcome of my designs, more recently I have been influenced and inspired by Paris.  Having been recently I find it inspiring for my practice both visually and culturally.  The French language and culture is something that has been influencing my practice more and more.

Broadens ideas and allows you to collect visuals and materials.  

Travelling and taking inspiration from different cities is an influence but I also think the journey can be really interesting and in terms of my practice I have used mapping journeys as a way of gathering content for certain areas of work.

images above are taken from the contemporary culture brief I wrote, sending disposable cameras to different cities around the world in order for them to capture their interpretation of 'contemporary culture.'  This year I have been trying to use various methods of gathering primary research which was initially inspired by the 'Strangers Series' by Shizuka Yokomizo, using a number of people to source first hand research/visuals.

Reading
has always been something thats helped inspire my design work, using extracts from texts and combining literature with visuals.  This year I feel a lot of my design has been influenced either from first hand sourcing of information and research or through the use of passages and extracts from some of my favourite books.  I have referenced Marcel Proust in some major elements of my design this year.  He studies the concept of memories and the deep sentiment of it.  This has tied in well with some of the content for briefs undertaken in the extended practice module, such as 'The Collected Writings of Rosy Lee' and 'Unsung Heroes and Heroines.'  

William Morris has also been a reoccurring reference after studying his ideas and theories during COP3.

Say what studio:

For my COP3 area of study I chose to look at the design of the London Underground which not only allowed me to look at the history of the design and the importance of branding but taught me the design values of Frank Pick, the publicity officer of Transport for London.  I found the background information into the overall design of the London Underground very interesting as their were many factors contributing to the style and design theory and morales Pick wanted to impress on the company.  A key area of research that I have taken forward since finishing COP3 is the ideas William Morris presented.  With the industrial revolution happening and this having an impact on design and art and commerce Pick set out to reconcile the ideas of Ruskin and Morris to the machine age by integrating art with industry.  Whilst looking at Picks approach and this new theory of 'medieval modernism' I studied the values and morales of Morris. 

Whilst researching into specific design elements of the Underground, their vast poster collection was something I was really interested in visually, and although the modernist style isn't especially reflected in my work the designs have inspired me in other ways.  I recently went to the an exhibition at the Transport for London museum where they celebrated 150 years of the London Underground.

COP3 was valuable to me in the sense of 


all years:
Throughout the three years there have been some reoccurring themes that I have looked into which have helped influence my work and develop a certain style of practice.  In terms of COP I have looked at modernism, and although it hasn't influenced my personal design specifically the theory and some of the ideas have interested me and I have taken these things on board.  During first year I was focused on the Bauhaus manifesto and the movement of Modernism in Europe.  COP3 allowed me to look into modernism in a different way, as it was combined with Frank Pick trying to enforce the traditionalist morals he was influenced by William Morris and the more progressive ideas that came with the movement of Modernism, when designing the London Underground.  Second year COP allowed me to advance further in one of my main interests, photography.  I looked into the concept of voyeurism and how it has developed in the modern day with all the advance in technology and social networking platforms.

Throughout the three years, within my practice as well as key designers, authors and places inspiring me I have found collecting research and information first hand really helps to develop my ideas and become more creative with the final outcome.  As the research aspect has always been something I've quite enjoyed I have tried to experiment with various methods of gathering research this year and I think my practice has benefited from this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment