Wednesday 21 May 2014

BRIEF 10: DR ME SAYS MAKE A FLAG//FINAL PRESENTATION BOARDS AND EVALUATION//OUGD603

brief 10_dr.me says make a flag (collaboration with Steph Buck)


evaluation
This was an interesting brief to do as its been the shortest one I've done this year and as it was a flag brief it was interesting to print on a different material as i've never really looked at printing onto cloth/material.  I also enjoyed the collaborative aspect of the brief and the limited time scale as I feel this allowed us to generate ideas quickly, act on them and design all within a few days.  Sometimes I find that refreshing as I can work on a brief for longer than I need to and it can sometimes result in me becoming frustrated with it or wanting to move onto something new.

For this particular brief, Steph and I had similar ideas of the kind of aesthetics we wanted to go for with the brief and the style, both in agreement that we wanted to create collages/photomontages.  I thought with this brief the concept was quite strong as we firstly listed visuals that we would quote like to incorporate into the design such as maps, compasses, birds (all these themes encompass travel or journeys which we thought were appropriate for a flag design.)  We then looked at how we could give the design a concept without just designing something that was visually to our taste.  We researched into bird migration and the types of birds that migrate in certain directions and whether they head north, south etc.  The research process in this brief was quite rewarding as I feel the research stages really helped develop the final design.   Through research and thought out concept generation we then designed the final flag which displayed e map in a compass diagram with swallows.

Overall I am happy with the final flag design, although the printed version is slightly pixelated due to the scale of the flag and the image size we used.

No comments:

Post a Comment