Monday 5 May 2014

BRIEF 15: AN EXHIBITION OF PARIS//EXTENDING BRIEF//DESIGN DEVELOPMENT//OUGD603

film photography:
When Lisa and I first wrote the brief we decided on using two or three different cameras to get a range and different style of photography for the project.  The publication was made up of a combination of digital photographs from both trips.  I took the film camera and some film to try and get some photographs of Paris as we thought film photography could work nicely.  These were the photos that were used for the moving images that Lisa put together.

paris film photography
I was quite happy with how the images had turned out as it was the first time i'd used the camera and so was still getting the hang of some of the techniques.
As a personal project using the photographs I have taken and being interested in zines I would quite like to make a photographic zine displaying the film photography that I took on my trip.  For the zine layout I want it to be simple with a lot of white space, a standard photographic zine layout.

These are some examples of zine layouts that I think work well:
design development:
I selected the best film photographs from my trip to Paris and complied a 20 page photographic zine.  After looking at other zines I found this a lot easier as before I was trying to make the layout too complicated and fill white space because I thought it looked unfinished, however a more simpler layout allows the zine to look cleaner and displays a single image as the main focus point on each page.

Most of the layout consists of two images on one page, either next to each other or at either ends of the page.  I have tried to match the images in as much as colour tones, subject and whether they compliment one another as they are all laid out on double page spreads.  The zine features no text apart from the opening page that reads the title.
I wanted the front cover of the zine to be slightly different to the content inside as I feel the front cover could be more interesting and appealing.  All of the photographs in the zine are displayed landscape, however, I think for the front cover it would suit a portrait photograph or to have a landscape one stretched out over the double page spread to allow the image to continue when you look at the back cover of the book.  This is the image I chose because I thought both the back and the front of the zine would work well with this image.  My two layout ideas for the cover are to have the whole book cover width ways filled with the image and leave a white strip above the top of the image with the title displayed in there (left)  The other layout idea uses the same image but has an uneven boarder around the edge of the cover and features a small fold of coloured paper with the title on the paper.

The title 'Paris is always a good idea' comes from an Audrey Hepburn quote, I thought this would be quite a good title idea, as it could sum up the photographs in the zine without featuring an obvious or uninteresting title.

No comments:

Post a Comment