Wednesday 21 May 2014

BRIEF 12: SECRET 7"//FINAL PRESENTATION BORADS AND EVALUATION//OUGD603

brief 12_secret 7" (collaboration with Emily Ball)


evaluation
I enjoyed collaborating on this brief, this was another outcome that I was happy with in the end, and learnt a lot from the printing experience. After collaborating on Spectrum Emily and I decided to collaborate on this as we work well together but didn't get the outcomes we particularly wanted from the brief.  I felt this was a brief where the outcome was successful in terms of taking the brief into consideration, not only with how it turned out visually but also with the concept behind it.  Emily worked on the visuals and I researched on how we could build a concept around it.  The feel and atmosphere of the song and music is what influenced the visual behind it, the lyrics are what influenced the concept, the song being called karmacoma, I looked into karma symbolism in various cultures.  This symbol (the endless knot) was embedded into the colourful and trippy pattern for a subtle result.  After doing this we extended it further as I looked at how type could be incorporated into the design.  I feel this brief taught me how to work to a tight deadline as the original design was done in one session.  The biggest learning curve, that seems to be a reappearing theme this year is printing.  When Emily and I first printed we were really unhappy with the colours, the design on screen involved a lot of vibrant colours which were dull and murky when printed on the stock we got from Leeds uni.


After asking James we learnt that his paper would had chemicals in that would allow the colours to be printed to a much higher quality.  Once the nets were printed and assembled we were happy with the final outcome.

Again, something that I've mentioned that is beneficial to the overall outcome of the work is the photography.  Again I used professional equipment in the photography studio which is something I'd never done before third year.  We then went onto make another version of the sleeve that worked as a pair, contrasting in colours.  Overall I am happy with the final result and I think the collaboration allowed us to create something we were both keen to try in terms off aesthetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment